Sunday, June 3, 2012

A Sparkly Summer Sew-along

Ladies, June has finally come and with it the promise of summer weather! It has almost become a tradition to start the warm season with a Summer Essentials Sew-along, which was Ali's brainchild two years ago and which she asked Sarah and me to co-host last year. And oh, did we have fun!

With so many awesome challenges and sew-alongs around already, we discussed ditching Summer Essentials this year - but we really didn't want to miss the fun of sewing along with each other. So we came up with a slight alteration. The Summer Sparks Sew-along! (And I love the firecracker imagery here!) One month - one fabulous garment that we're going to be proud of wearing all summer long!

Here's the sparkly details:
1 MONTH:
In the month of June, sew one fabulous garment that you plan on strutting all summer.

1 GARMENT:

Your choice! What's the most wonderful thing you'd like to wear again and again this summer? A pair of linen palazzo pants? A shoulder-bearing sundress? A swishy skirt? A floaty top?
Why not make it now and flaunt it 'til the days get shorter?

1 GREAT LIST:
We'll be posting photos of our finished garments in a Flickr group and, at the end of the month, we'll tally up all the fabulous patterns in a list to serve as inspiration to all. One person's amazing garment could spark another's summer sewing—in July, the season's still young, after all!

1 FABULOUS PRIZE:

All folks who have uploaded a photo of their finished garment by July 4 (a few extra days for good measure!)  will be entered into my giveaway for 1.5 meters of fabulous flowery blue crepe plus 1.5m off-white lining fabric, to be shipped worldwide! Actually, there's 3 prizes, as you could also win an indie sewing pattern of your choice from Ali or 2.5 yards of lovely, summery seersucker from Sarah!

JOIN US! 
Anyway, to enter the sewalong, simply join the flickr group to be found here! Sarah was also gracious enough to make a badge and codebox to post on your blog or website, thanks Sarah!







Personally, I'm still thinking about my sparkly sewing, but I'm leaning towards the self-drafted shirtdress I've been dreaming about for months now. One month to draft a dress should be possible, shouldn't it?

I'd love to hear about your perfect summer garment!

20 comments:

  1. Eine wunderbare Idee von euch dreien! Ich würde auch sooo gerne mitmachen. Mal sehen. LG, Ulrike

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've just started refashioning a shirt into a Sorbetto, my first project! I'm not finished with university exams yet and I don't have a sewing machine so one Sorbetto in a month is still going to be an acheivement :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats on your first project! Sorbetto is an awesome pattern, and so versatile, as Sarah (below) can attest! Welcome to the sewalong!

      Delete
  3. Ooh, I am so happy to be sewing along with you and Ali again! I love the idea of your self-drafted shirt dress!

    ReplyDelete
  4. *firecracker imagery.

    Sounds awesome. Does it have to be a summer garment? It's winter down in Ozland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *lol* I had a feeling that didn't sound quite right but was too lazy to look it up. :) Thanks.

      Sparkly winter garments are totally welcome!

      Delete
  5. I love the rethinking of this--one garment in the span of a month sounds totally reasonable, and possibly even doable for me! Also, you should definitely go for the shirtdress.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the idea of one make only seems doable! I have had half a Lisette traveller shirt dress cut out since January. This will hopefully help me to cut out the rest and sew it up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am in on this one too! Having lost any motivation recently it should get me back in the mood for sewing.Hopefully shall start the cutting out today...as it is raining!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds great! I was finding a new challenge after MMM, so I´m going to participate in this sparkly challenge!!!
    Thanks for sharing and hosting this kind of initiative, they´re a good way to connect people.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so in, this is just brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh I love the sound of this! I've been playing with making a canary-yellow version of one of Colette Patterns' newest designs, I think it would work well for this challenge! Thanks for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Im definitely in on this one. Debating wether to try my first pair of wide leg trousers or a light summer blazer. Or I may just stick to a dress or skirt lol! I will have to wait to join the flickr group as cant seem to log into flickr at the moment :(

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes on the shirtdress! You're so wonderful at self-drafting and adapting patterns, and since you've been dreaming about it for months, why not now? :)

    Thanks for co-hosting and your generous giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I´m so happy to be in! Hurrah for June! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like fun! I have a sundress just about ready to cut, it's from fabric I batiked in June last year, and my goal is to have it done in time for the same event this year, so I'm totally in!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the idea of this sew along! As June is going to be a super busy month for me, I'm not sure if I will be participating - but I would love to see what others do with this challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm in, making the great step to actually wearing something I've made. Out in public and everything.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I´m in too! Top and skirt in vibrant colours!

    ReplyDelete