Saturday, February 7, 2015

An Oufit with a Twist

This is the story about my new favorite knit dress pattern. 

Although to be completely honest, new is a relative term, since my first version (the one with the flowers) was already made in... October? Possibly even September? Oh my...  In any case, I've been looking for a knit dress pattern with a knot or twist along the neckline for a pretty long time. They show up from time to time in the blogosphere, I think the first one I saw and fell in love with was made by my fellow Berlin sewing blogger Wiebke, who has made several cute versions of Onion 2022. Then there was also Amy, who has made at least two cute versions of a twisted Burda maxi dress, the same one that Allison made. There's also a cute Ottobre pattern (as seen here), McCalls 5484 (which Sarah made a cute green version of) and which looks pretty similar to a pattern from the Dutch pattern company Knipmode. Plus, Desigual got out a line of cute twist-front dresses sometime in the fall, which might have been what tipped me over the edge of actually buying a pattern. ;)
looks like that dress is just a bit too bif on that model... source
After a long bit of dithering, I decided to buy Onion 2022, which was pretty hyped and often sewn in the German sewing blogosphere, oh, sometime in 2012. Call me a late bloomer. ;)
This is the result, although I have to admit that it took me a little while to get there. My first version, before altering the heck out if it, looked like this:
See the uneven hemline and the big fold in the front? Yes, I should have guessed that from the pattern pieces (which featured an almost straight line where the skirt connects to the bodice, even though the bodice, after being twisted, forms a definite upside-down V in the middle). The correction, thankfully, was done easily enough by making the middle angle more acute, as seen in the picture (dotted lines) below.
I also scooped out a bit along the middle of the back skirt to make the fit better. The end result, as seen in the first picture, is still not quite perfect (the back neckline gapes a bit, and the front is low enough that I always have to wear it with a slip or tanktop underneath), but it got to be my favorite dress this autumn. I'm pretty sure I wore it several times every week, mostly with a cardi and tights. :)

I liked the style so much that I used a slinky blue rayon jersey to make a top for work. Actually, the fabric may have been too slinky since it shows every bump, but I never quite noticed in real life and wore it a lot. With a white tank top underneath, of course. No peeks for the patients. ;)
Last but not least, I filled a definite wardrobe gap with that pattern! If you have a look through my handmade wardrobe, there's a definite bias towards cute, fun knit dresses. There are a few everyday woven dresses, a couple of skirts, a whole lot of every day knit tops, some "Sunday Picnic" dresses - but really nothing chic or elegant. Nothing with a bit of sexiness to it. The type of dress that pairs nicely with your man's best suit. So, with Christmas in sight, I thought I'd finally get cracking on a chic dress with a bit of sexiness to it. The twisty neckline dress in a light navy cotton jersey seemed perfect: sexy neckline, chic, classic colour, comfy jersey.

I was actually not sold on it, the first time I tried it on. It looked... boring.

That was before I put on the black tights and lace-edged slip and necklace.
Now it's perfect.
It saw me through two office Christmas parties, Christmas Eve Dinner (which is A Thing in my family, a.k.a. a three-course meal with champagne and wine and all the trimmings, and yes, the men wear a suit or at least a dress shirt), New Year's Eve, my stepdad's birthday party.
I may need to make a sleeveless version for summer. Then we can live happily ever after.

The End. :)

PS: This blog post was inspired by Karen, who wrote about "The power of Story" this morning, and gave me the impetus to finally write another blog post about sewing again. Head over and read it, because she really has a way with words. :)

8 comments:

  1. I love this dress, and I love the story of your post! I really enjoyed reading Karen's post about writing - I'm looking forward to her next post in the series! I'm also curious about your mention of what is popular in the German blogosphere. Maybe you could do a round up post for English-only bloggers? Like "3 patterns that German Sewists are into" or "3 things you might have missed if you don't read German blogs!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Gillian! Ooh, that's a fun idea! Although to be honest, I read way more English(-speaking) sewing blogs than German. I always feel that a lot of German sewing bloggers either sew mostly for their kids or make those little patchwork bag/shabby chic/home dec projects, which is fine of course, but not really my area of sewing interest. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Gillian! Ooh, that's a fun idea! Although to be honest, I read way more English(-speaking) sewing blogs than German. I always feel that a lot of German sewing bloggers either sew mostly for their kids or make those little patchwork bag/shabby chic/home dec projects, which is fine of course, but not really my area of sewing interest. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun! Looks like you've figured to a winner. Those twists always look so elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This dress saw you through Christmas, NYE and a birthday - it's a dress for milestones and full of memories! So pleased that you've been inspired to blog about your sewing again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely dresses and top. I am so impressed the one dress saw you through so many events .A definite keeper. I really like the top too x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also think that would be fun to see an occasional report from the German-speaking sewing world, although I get what you're saying, some parts of the English sewing blogosphere aren't my cup of tea either. :) Your dress is super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks like it's been a really useful pattern for you so far!

    ReplyDelete